Volunteering for Ujima
Our volunteers are central to Ujima’s success. They’re talented, passionate, dynamic, and excited about contributing to work that positively impacts the lives of underserved children and communities.
Interested in volunteering with Ujima? Read on.
Benefits of the Ujima Volunteer Program
- Develop your professional skills by being involved with a startup nonprofit (founded in 2013).
- Directly contribute to Ujima’s mission by working on projects from start to finish.
- Utilize your creativity by using the skills you already have in spades.
- Gain access to a network of like-minded, driven professionals.
- Receive a letter of recommendation from an Ujima board member (based on performance).
- Build on your professional portfolio of work.
- 1-3 hours a week for a minimum of 3 months.
- Attendance at relevant Team Member meetings.
We’re looking for a passionate individual with video editing skills to create a few attention-grabbing videos for the work we’re doing in Tanzania. Your primary goal in this role will be to create video/media to help build a compelling indiegogo campaign to raise funds toward our Young Scholars Program, a child education sponsorship program. The most critical piece will be an engaging, compelling, and fun 1-2 minute video to be used as part of our indiegogo campaign.
- Experience shooting, editing, and producing videos for various forms of media (online, website, and social media).
- Edit existing footage creatively and effectively to capture viewers’ support.
- Capture new marketing shots.
- Create short videos that can be posted and shared online to build our social media presence.
We’re seeking an energetic, entrepreneurial individual to assist with the development of Ujima’s fundraising strategies with a particular focus on identifying target donor groups and organizing fundraising events.
- Experience in development or fundraising for non-profit organizations.
- Help define Ujima’s target donor groups and develop specific strategies aimed at those groups.
- Develop ideas for fundraising events during the year.
- Partner with the Marketing and Communications Committee to integrate Ujima’s fundraising strategies within our social media platform.
- Participate as a member of the Fundraising & Development Committee.
- Research other potential areas of funding.
We’re looking for an organized and motivated grant writer to research and write proposals for our existing and upcoming projects.
- Experience writing grants for nonprofit organizations with confident knowledge of the grant-writing process from beginning to end.
- Research relevant issues and key facts for grant proposals, including conducting informational interviews with staff and Ujima partners.
- Draft grant proposals and foundation reports.
Volunteer in Africa
We’re looking for volunteers who are passionate about working with children and are interested in traveling to Africa in partnership with Ujima. As a volunteer, you’d be able to interact with the fourteen children in our Young Scholars Program in Arusha, Tanzania. We’re especially interested in individuals who have strong skillsets (anything from computer science to creative writing) and ideas for sharing those skills with the children in our program. Background checks will be conducted on all volunteers traveling to Ujima’s project site.
If you’re interested in contributing your skills to Ujima or volunteering at our project site in Africa, send us an email at email@example.com. Please include a cover letter detailing your interest in volunteering and in our organization, as well as a copy of your resume.